Friday, July 11, 2008

Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA


Brewer: Anderson Valley Brewing Co, Mendocino County, CA
ABV: 7%
COLOR: fucking purple rainbows... what do you think.
Aroma: It's hoppy but there's a hint of sweetness behind it
Flavor: Bold and full. There's more to it than just hops, but they add a great finish.
Opinion: I'm a huge fan of Anderson Valley. Their Oatmeal Stout is one of the best you can buy, and it won't cost you a Sammy Smiths (it's no drake's crude, though). It's a beer you can find pretty readily. I got mine at Trader Joe's.

Their choice in hops is really excellent. They way I judge an IPA is I take a sip, and breathe out through my nose as I drink it. If the hops are balanced right, this experience is better than the initial taste. This IPA definitely upholds this. It's a very refreshing IPA. I wouldn't recommend chugging it after a 5K, but it would be great on a hot day.

I would actually say that it's stronger than a normal IPA. Both the alcohol, at a respectable 7%, and the strength of the hops (probably a lot of Magnum) resemble more of a double IPA.

It's definitely worth a try, but then again, all of AVBC's beer's are fantastic. Plus, they're a solar powered brewery, so you can feel like you're better than everyone else before the alcohol even kicks in.

No comments: